After we visited the Denver Windmill we stumbled upon the Welney Wetland Center. It's only a few minutes from Littleport. We couldn't have picked a better day to explore. The sun was shinning and there was fresh mud for Liam to stomp in. I only wish I would have had my other camera lens. A lot of the birds were pretty far out in the wetland area. We are all looking forward to visiting again.
Ely began life as an island, effectively isolated by the surrounding fens. Its name means Isle of Eels, for the eels which swam in the waters surrounding it. So abundant were the eels that they were used as currency in the past. Imagine paying your rent in eels!


The visitor center at Welney was great and had great hands on stuff for the kids. And the education room was amazing. I really felt like I was underwater!

No comments:
Post a Comment